PPSEL - continued

Today, I continue my post about my entry into flying...

It took me a couple years, and a discount working on the flight line before I finally was awarded with my 'private pilot, singe engine land' pilot's certificate. That was June of 1982. I spent two plus years trying to figure out how I could get paid flying for a living. For the military, I'd have to get a commission first. The airlines required a four year degree, so I'd have to finish college first. Going the slow route, I calculated, would cost another $20,000 to $30,000 in training, a number of years working up through the charter ranks, and very low pay. Well, it wasn't looking good. I believe our young people have a whole lot more options today.

So, I continued to fly as I could afford until my biennial ran out. And, I got engaged. Well, life stepped in. I'm sure there is many a certificated pilot that has run into this snag! For 18 years I tried not to think too much about what it felt like to be behind the yoke of an aircraft. Not that I didn't think about flying. For a period, I joined an aviation club and even flew with a few members... in the back seat. But, between marriage, building a career, relocating homes, jobs, then divorce and recovery from the major life change... flying was not a priority.

Over the years, I've done a lot of travel for business. Flying with most of the air carriers around the country and world. It always amazed me how many people I encountered who had started their flight training or were a pilot also. Mostly it was people who either wished they had learned how to fly, wanted to learn how to fly, or had taken a few lessons then life happened. On occasion I would actually run into an airline pilot or fellow pilot who was lucky enough to still be flying. Unfortunately, its not one of those pursuits that tend to be of high priority or lends itself easily to most people. At least not financially. So, if you're a pilot who flies on a regular basis or even owns an aircraft, count your blessings. . . . (to be continued)

--------------
Do you have a story about your first lesson or aircraft? Feel free to leave a comment and share your aviation experience.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home